2014-08-24

I love syncthing a little and I distrust owncloud a lot

So After my server crash I had to reinstall owncloud and then resynchronzie it. Well thats a crawl and I only have around 2.5GB, just the important stuff, not music and cat pictures ;)
I had a talk with a couple of friends and one was looking through the database of owncloud, and what he found scared me a lot. It seems owncloud uses lots and lots of tables but without any sense: usernames, groupnames and so on are saved in tables with one row (or field if you like the term better) ... varchar. So what happens when a user- or groupname is changed? Yes, owncloud has to go through all the tables and change every entry containing the name. And hopefully it doesn't miss anything. yak. I made better databases when I was 12 (and I learned it during an MS Access class in the adult education centre).
Another problem I have is the follwing: A couple of weeks ago my server had to reboot for a kernel update. After the reboot a lvm volume didn't get mounted. It was the volume with my owncloud data. How that happened is mostly irrelevant, the point is owncloud synced my "data" from the server and before I knew it, both my desktop machines had deleted everything from the owncloud folder. Since owncloud doesn't do any versioning I was really lucky that I could just mount the volume and reindex (which is not guaranteed to work or to not destroy your data!).
As I said, I got scared, that is not the alternative to dropbox I'm looking for.

Enter the world of syncthing. Basically it is an open source alternative to bittorrent sync. Currently it is at version 0.9.6 and seems stable enough. The lansync is quite fast and the upload to the server a crawl, but that's a problem with my upload speed, not with the software. Sure, there is a still a lot to do, like a native interface instead of the local webserver, a try icon, not showing a ms dos console on windows, an android app (though there is one in the making), but all in all I trust in it a lot more than in "I want to be a whole cloud with contacts, calendars, microsoft document editing, media player, everything in php and on a database that doesn't deserve to be called one" - owncloud.
To be really happy all I need is a webapp on top for up/downloading files via browser (suggestions very welcome) and an android app. Everything else is just make-up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that syncthing has versioning: Both easy mode (keep $number-of-versions) and timemachine like (every minute the first hour, every day the first week...). Also it has a mode to protect a master-machine from changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment